Staff & Operations
Quincy has two full-time inspectors in the Building Department. The Building Department handles inspections and code enforcement issues. The department is located in the Public Services Building located at 115 1st Ave. S.W.
Know Your Zoning
If you plan to build, it is important that you know what land use zone you are in before you start the process. Each zone has specific restrictions and requirements which must be followed. Zone verification should be your first step in any construction project you are planning. Land Use Zoning Application and Development Applications are available online. Review the City of Quincy Zoning Map to find out what zone you are located in. The District Use Chart should also be reviewed to determine if your project is acceptable within the zone.
Information Required for a Building Permit
The application for a building permit for your work should:
- Identify and describe the work to be covered by the permit for which application is made.
- Describe the land on which the proposed work is to be done by legal description, street address or similar description that will readily identify and definitely locate the proposed building or work.
- Indicate the use or occupancy for which the proposed work is intended.
- Be accompanied by construction documents, specifications and other data as required in Section 106 of the International Residential Code (IRC).
- State the valuation of any new building or structure or any addition, remodeling or alteration to an existing building.
- Be signed by the applicant, or the applicant's authorized agent.
- Give such other data and information as may be required by the building official.
Work Exempt From Building Permits
Work exempt from building permits are:
- Fences 6' or less in height
- For residential uses, 1-story detached accessory storage structures, such as tool sheds or playhouses, less than 120 square feet and not used to store a vehicle
- For commercial and industrial uses, 1-story detached accessory storage structures less than 120 square feet
- Finish work, such as painting, carpeting, cabinets, tiling, counter tops and similar finish work
- Swing sets and playground equipment
- Residential decks if all of the following are true: it is not attached to a structure, it is less than 200 square feet, it is less than 30 inches above grade and it does not have a roof covering
- Replacing siding over existing siding or exterior sheathing
- Portable heating and cooling units
- Clearing stoppages or repairing leaks in pipes, valves, or fixtures, provided the repair does not involve the replacement of pipes, valves, or fixtures
- Retaining walls not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge
Tim MooreBuilding Inspector / Code Enforcement OfficerPhone: 509-787-3523, ext. 257
Sergio CastilloBuilding Inspector / Code Enforcement OfficerPhone: 509-787-3523 ext. 256
Jessica BoothSecretary / ReceptionistPhone: 509-787-3523, ext. 276
115 1st Avenue SW
Quincy, WA 98848
Phone: 509-787-3523, ext. 6
Monday - Friday
9 a.m. - 5 p.m.